Uncrewed Surface Vehicles

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Victor A Sabelhaus, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Victor A Sabelhaus

Victor A Sabelhaus Junior Member

All,

I just join this group to see if anyone knows of any groups involved in prototyping/designing Uncrewed Surface Vehicles. Looking for particular hull types of design and prototype shops that would like to be involved in the prototype builds.

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Victor, most of that tech is dual use and controlled under the International Treaty on Arms Reduction (ITAR) and US Export Administration Regulations (EAR) lists. Just saying.

BMcF likes this.
  3. Victor A Sabelhaus

Thanks for the input. I will pursue any certifications required. It is not our intent for dual use, just scientific research. However, I do understand the possibilities of different use scenarios and will seek appropriate approvals as we get closer to a vessel definition. There are many suppliers for sensors and communications systems, and I am trying to get a lead on which are best to use as well as potential prototype shop that people use for prototyping.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What is the purpose and size? We use small ones for surveys.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Very interesting, for example for inspection of the submerged hull. Could you show us some?. Thanks.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

That is a very nice, very impressive website that anyone can show, but the important thing is to know what specific vehicle you are using and what you use it for. Teaching web pages doesn't have much merit, it doesn't mean anything.
    Let us learn from your experience in this matter. Thanks.

8. Victor A Sabelhaus

9. Victor A Sabelhaus

Our vessel will be used for scientific research so the design will be modular for different use payloads. We will be in the 3M to 5M range for the length of the vessel, mostly because it will be powered by solar panels and batteries. The width will be in the .75 to 1M range. Our standard sensor arrays will be for navigation, collision avoidance, Autonomy, satellite and cellular communications, etc. So, I am looking for a prototype shop handle this size of vessel and can help with the physical integration of our standard systems/sensors.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That is the size we are using. However, for our purpose they are remote controlled. PM me for more information. I may be able to help you with what you need.

11. Victor A Sabelhaus

Thanks, Gonzo. Please let me know how to reach. I am not sure how-to PM using this forum.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.