Permanent Structural adhesives

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Bullshipper, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Bullshipper

Bullshipper Bullshipper

I am looking for a permanent structural adhesive recommendations for gap sizes up to 1/4- 3/8". I am currently glassing and finishing these joints and it takes forever

This would be used on bond the raw bottom flange faces on consoles, seat bases, sea walls to raw fiber glassed decks . These boxes all have bottom flanges around their bases that I can trim to 1-2" wide and grind flat.

I would also like to bond fiber glassed bulkheads to the hull and perform the cap to hull bond on its2" wide outboard flanges too.

On paper, Plexus MA550 looks good to me but three 5 gallon pails per hull is very expensive.

I have also looked at vinyl ester based Arjay 7121 which looks more reasonable in cost

I am very very inexperienced at this so any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

How stiff does the joint need to be?

3. Bullshipper

Bullshipper Bullshipper

I would like some elongation to be able to also use it close to outboards where there is more vibration.

I have been reinforcing poly resin paste with fiber but still think it is too brittle and it does not trowel well when it squeezes out.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I’m an epoxy guy, so probably not help, but I use straight cabosil. It does shrink some, but it isn’t really a fairing compound, so shrink is good, imo. It takes awhile to get the measurements right, but about 2.2 to 1 cab to mixed resin by volume, vary per the resin.

Adding fibers makes things really flow poorly. I only use [edit] bulky, non flowable [edit] fillers when I have concerns about an edge failure.

This product looks good for esters.

7121 Vinyl Ester Bonding Compound | For Critical Marine Bonding – Arjay Technologies https://www.arjaytechnologies.com/7121-vinyl-ester-bonding-compound-for-critical-marine-bonding/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
  5. Bullshipper

Bullshipper Bullshipper

6. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

For bonding add also talcum powder (with cabosil/fibers) where stiffnes is needed.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.