Harley 42'

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Guest, Apr 6, 2004.

1. pizzacutter

pizzacutter Senior Member

Sorry to hear you are selling the Harley. I hope the new owner takes good care of her!
    I am finally ready to try mine in the water for 2017. It was a long winter or projects including a new Hard Top. So here are a few pics from this weekend. I still have a small list of things to finish (as always) but at least she is in the ditch behind the house instead of in the shop

Attached Files:

2. JG928

JG928 New Member

Anyone know of a used Harley boat currently for sale? I'm looking for something trailerable, set up for sport fishing, in the 40 ft range. I'd definitely consider a project boat that I could convert to sport fisher. Any info would be great! Thanks!

3. Ron Alexander

Ron Alexander Seattle Vice

I'm selling my 42 Harley Superstar. Email me at ron.a@plympicfoundry.com if you'd like more information

4. Ron Alexander

Ron Alexander Seattle Vice

5. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Hey Pizza!

The new hardtop looks great. It looks perfect!!!

6. pizzacutter

7516830176_IMG_0084.JPG Hi Guys, it looks like us Harley owners are withering away. Not much chat :(. Bummer but understandable. Anyway we are in South Florida for the winter. Just got back from a Stuart to Key West and back trip. 700 + miles. Lots of fun. Boat running great. Hoping for Bahamas in April

7. fpjeepy05

fpjeepy05 Senior Member

Hey, any of you guys ever need to get a new shaft made? I had one get mangled recently and I don't know of a shop that can cut a splined shaft.

8. Swamplizard

Swamplizard Senior Member

Happy New Year Harley-Dudes! Yeah I know I have been MIA lately but life is busy and sometimes, just sometimes, boating isnt what it is all about. ;-)
    Been working at putting "lipstick on a pig" of a house for the last year as wife and I decided to stay here another decade before we downsize. Florida contractors are a trip so ... been doing 99% of the work myself along with my real 60-hour a week job. Entire interior has been overhauled .... Last item to do is the landscaping and driveway and I aint doing those.

Harley-wise she is still afloat and running though slow with 330hp motors. To be honest we have not been using it much ... kids dont boat, grand kids are still too little. Been accumulating parts to make better power - picked up pair of ZF gears so I can go with two regular rotation motors, picked up pair of Weaind 177 blowers with intakes and 1050 Dominator boost referenced carbs, belts and pulleys. Also picked up larger oil coolers and had one set of props cleaned up and balanced ... 19x20s I think. The plan is to pick up some stock GM502 or 454 Mags (forged internals) long blocks and go low boost blowers for some fun. I hear the Harley is not a big fan of speeds over 50 so it is more about torque to get on plane and cruise easily than top speed. Been shopping for the blower-ready motors but they are few and far between ... hope to get it done by summer.

Another boat-related experiment since my Genny seized last year (it was a flaky POS anyway) is to go without Genny. Built up a decent "house" battery bank, picked up a pair of 120Amp alternators, battery isolators, and get this a 12-volt 5000 btu marine water cooled A/C unit. Picked up a 60-Amp multizone battery charger as well....all on the cheap. The idea is to be able to run A/C off engine alternators when running (house batteries will act like a buffer), when at the dock the shore power charger will keep things running and when on the hook, the isolated "House" batteries should cool the cabin for up to 8 hours. Still have some wiring and plumbing to sort out but parts are in the boat....I will report back.

Lee your HardTop is rocking Bro!!!! I need to think about doing that and perhaps building in some solar panels while I'm at it.
    , a slide and a diving board ;-)

Hope everyone is doing well this year - I had foot surgery (rebuilt three fubar'd toes) cramping my style this month but should be back at it soon.

9. sharper

sharper Junior Member

Fishtales drop box
    https://www.dropbox.com/home/Harley%2042%20fishtales

Working on the project when i can:

Disassembled engines to long blocks
    Replaced main, rear seals and gaskets
    Removed and cleaned all coolers
    All new water pumps
    New Belts and Hoses
    Rebuilt alternators and install light weight starters
    Stainless j-boxes, Murphy gauges and all new engine wiring
    New sending units
    Purchased Cheto C-guard G2 digital analog to digital gauge conversion system (did some testing on the bench but not installed yet)
    Fabricated mounts and installed direct drive Vickers Hydraulic pumps with raptor couplings for power steering on each engine
    Fabricated hyd tank and installed check valve and priority valves
    All new steering hoses and one new orbital steering valve for the upper station
    Rebuilt trim and steering cylinders
    Rebuilt transmissions
    In the process of going through drives
    Rehab Generator also
    Fleet guard 1218 20 micro primary filters
    Airdog primary and secondary fuel pump and filter system ( 4 micron factory filter)
    Imco high volume electric fuel selector valves
    Ops secondary oil bypass filter systems
    New motor mounts , fabricated stainless and alu mounting brackets
    Ran engines and gen on the stands then installed (removed for final engine room paint)
    Lots of glass work. New fuel tank covers and gen hatch. Glass floor gutter for hatches
    Fabricated, fit and replaced most of the plexiglass on the cabin door and hatch
    Finish floors and engine hatch next. That will take some time

Time marches on, Lee the top looks really good

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  10. sharper

sharper Junior Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  11. sharper

sharper Junior Member

12. sharper

sharper Junior Member

13. pizzacutter

Hi Guys, sorry I missed some recent posts. Shawn- looking good! I could not access dropbox to see all the pix. Wishing u luck! We are ready for a Bahamas trip whenever u are. Swamp, hang in there! U will get it all done in due time.
    LEE

14. pizzacutter

Shawn. I forgot to mention that we changed our main floor to a two piece "gull wing" design. Much better. If u need information on that let me know.

Attached Files:

15. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Hello Everyone,
    I'm still running my Harley as much as I can. My family and I went to the San Juan Islands again this year. Boat ran great! Found lots of Killer Whales on the west coast of San Juan Island. Local whale enthusiasts are getting pretty uptight about getting too close. I was berated a couple of times by a RIB full of whale Harley Non Skid.jpg Harley Non Skid Pic.jpg Harley  Non Skid.jpg activists for being too close. (I don't think I was)

Boat trailer tires should have been changed before I left town. Two of them blew, and had to buy all new ones on the road. You know.... the usual chit.

I did get a small project crossed off my list. Last year the Harley was anchored out a ways, and I didn't visit it for the last two days of our stay. I packed up my stuff, hopped in the dinghy for the short ride to the boat, climbed aboard, and found that a family of otters had been using the cockpit for an outhouse! It was really bad!!. I dug through the garbage and found a Starbucks cup to use as a scoop. The 30 mile or so trip back to the truck was pretty smelly. No need to say the carpets were all ruined, which was fine because they were getting worn anyway. I had been talking about tossing them, and installing some stick on nonskid. I don't remember the brand, but it is heavy duty, and has diamond shape design to it. I also fixed the many dings and gouges in the cockpit floor, and repainted it before the final install. I took a few pictures during the project, but have not taken any of the finished product. I will try to do that soon.

It’s great stuff, and much more practical for me than carpet.

Harley Non Skid.jpg Harley Non Skid Pic.jpg Harley  Non Skid.jpg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.